06 enero, 2013

Noche de prodigios ☆

I tried to post this yesterday, but for some reason blogger would not let me upload the pictures. So I am posting now what I wrote last night:

Tomorrow is the Epiphany.
In my homeland it is then and not in Christmas when we exchange the Nativity presents, which are brought to us by the Magi in the same way they brought presents to the new born Jesus. Tonight is when the presents are wrapped and placed under the tree or the Nativity scene by your shoes (we put our best pair of shoes for the Magi to know where to place the presents).


I loved tonight when I was little.
I couldn't wait for it to pass and see the presents and eat roscón (the typical sweet) with a mug of hot chocolate together with all my family; but at the same time I didn't wanted it to finish because something amazing was going on. Tonigh wonderful things are to be given to you for no reason at all, you had done nothing to deserve it aside of being part of the meaning of it -by being good- and the ones giving the presents are meant to remain hidden, so you could never pay them back; I wanted to savour that atmosphere of exception and anticipation as much as possible. I guess that is why I love to unwrap my presents slowly.
Unwrapping a present is like to move through unlayers of its beauty. A wrapped present is beautiful already, it is beautiful regardless the content: it is given for free and carefully chosen with love, the paper is normally pretty and nice to look at and feel with your hands (moreover when the giver was the one to wrap it) and it veils a content though for you: it could be anything, and I love that.

I think that the Christmas presents are the purest meaning of "gifting". They are given to you not to celebrate yourself but to celebrate that you are loved by the one whose birthday is.


I also didn’t wanted tonight to finish because tomorrow is the last day of the Nativity holidays, and I never want that to finish (my birthday can wait!). I miss the Christmas lights the rest of the year...

Tomorrow we will wake up early, light some sparklers and go down the stairs with them lighting the way to see what the Magi have left after visiting our house. I have always loved that first look into the room: all kind of packages in colourful and glittery wrappings for everyone we loved by our beautiful sparkly three, under with the soft morning sunlight; the sweet anticipation of what could be inside of them, knowing that they are all presents of love…
I always remember that time my grandmother told me that once, as a child, she got an orange as a present. And she sounded so happy explaining me how sweet was it!

These pictures are from the glass nativity scene I mentioned in the post before,. It protrays the Magi, the ones who listen at the stars, arriving from far away to the Holy Family’s presence.

God bless, dearly,
ღ Leticia

2 comentarios:

EmeA dijo...

Pues a mí "epiphany" me suena a una especie de flauta rara

Leticia dijo...

Si alguna vez le pongo nombre a una flauta me temo que acaba de quedar pre-bautizada ;)