09 agosto, 2012

…In a bottle


I made this the last March-April for someone who asked me for a protective charm.
I think that nothing can hold our deepest fragility and tenderness better than a truly loving heart, so I made this as an image of my heart sent -like a message- in a bottle.



Closed bottles are fascinating. They can hold so many things: potions, venoms, genies, drinks, medicines, messages, perfumes, oils, breath… All brought, maybe, from distant places. A closed bottle contains, suspended, a bit of a space, of a place, brought from somewhere else. That’s why once you open a bottle you can’t truly ever close it again, making them the best place to store wishes and dreams.
I think that is why it is somehow mysterious to send messages in bottles, all the more because their destination is always uncertain. Like a death letter… And I like death letters. They prove that you are not taking a real step anywhere when you can take it back, when you have a turn back or an exit door from it.

This bottle is like a promise. It is filled with symbols of all the beautiful things in the world that move me to love.


In the end I couldn’t give this to that person. Luckily, I was able to open it and fix the content to its new mission and I am very happy with the result. It is tiny, very detailed and glows beautifully in the light!

Things inside:

-White glitter (the one I often wear on my hair),
-Every type of star I had in the drawer where I keep my hands on crafts materials,
-One leaf of the olive tree my father gave me as a representation/wish of my loving heart,
-An almost translucent slice of white nacre I found at the sea,
-A tear,
-A piece of a ring I had in my teens which I broke,
-A drop of holy water,
-Two petals of the pinkand white flowers of the apple tree I planted, which grew from the seeds of an apple that I ate,
-A gold, a blue, a pink, a pearly white and a transparent crystal bead,
-Some of the sand on top of which the house of my family was built,
-A drop of the crystallised amber of my late white flowered cherry tree (it smells amazingly),
-A drop of the crystallised amber of the oldest tree I have ever met,
-A piece of wood from a very special place,
-A slice of the pink crystal flowers of the Tree of Happines* my parents were given at their wedding,
-A drop of my perfume
-A word of innocence

The message is a pray for someone that I used to say often as a child and as a teen. I printed it in blue (which is the colour of all that’s high and deep) and signed it with a star instead of my name. I folded out the corner with the star to show that there’s really something written by me in the paper.
I made the paper look old by bathing it in my favourite blend of tea and letting it dry in the sun. Then I rolled it as tight as I could (it is a long scroll and it was really hard to fit it down the neck of the bottle!). I tied it with pink string because pink it is one of my signature colours.

The cork was made from a bigger one of a bottle of red wine, and was sealed with my “sunlight” nail polish with my fingerprint on top.

God bless,


ღ Leticia 


----------------
*A Tree of Happiness is a glass made bonsai that, in some traditions, is given to new wed couples as a sign of the happiness and joy in the married life.

No hay comentarios: