15 diciembre, 2008

The one who walks through



A little inking job I finished last year I just came across (the actual picture and the first part of the inking are from 2 years and something ago).
Not the most brilliant one but I liked how the general composition came out. In fact this is an inking practice I did with some new ultra thin pens on an early concept of this character of mine. I don’t really like inking with pens (I’d rather work with brushes there) because I’m never able to make them work as I’d like; maybe it’s because I’m lefty, I know a few lefties with the same problem. But, which better way to tame your inking pressure m4d sk1llz than drawing a thousand lines?

I also think that the process of simplification from the original sketch is interesting, so I’m posting it too (I tend to like my sketches more than my finished jobs because they hold an open potential I find very appealing).


(sketch)



EDIT: I've been told that this is very XXX-Holic like. However, the actual inspiration of this comes from some ukiyo-e monster pictures I saw and, originally, some Chinese sansui style paintings; I wasn’t reading XXX-Holic then.
Yet, I started reading the manga a little later and it's cover design influenced the process of simplification: I changed the curtains (that were originally planned as pure white only made visible thought the shadows on them and the dragonfly pattern) and I put a double line of on the edge of the frame.

.

No hay comentarios: